7 Sept 2011

Pickled cucumbers

A friend mine recently gave me a glass of home made pickled cucumbers. They were so good I had to have the recipe. I've made them a few times since and they're a huge hit! I eat them with everything: ham or cheese toast, burgers, cottage cheese...

Unfortunately I don't know which book the recipe is from, I just have a photocopy of the page:


 1) Slice cucumbers and onions into thin slices, layer adding sea salt to every layer. Cover and leave for a few hours. Drain liquid and rinse cucumbers.








2) Bring vinegar to the boil along with sugar, mustard seeds, clove, turmeric and salt. The recipe says to use malt vinegar. I can never find it in Swiss supermarkets so I use a mixture of apple vinegar and white wine vinegar instead.



3) Add the cucumbers and onions to the vinegar mixture.



4) Sterilise pickle jars in boiling water.



5) Put cucumbers into jars using a slotted spoon. Bring the rest of the liquid back to the boil and let it reduce a bit. Add it to the jars.





Et voilĂ , enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment