28 Nov 2011

Thanksgiving Pies II: Apple Cheddar Pie

The second pie I made for the big Thanksgiving Dinner was an Apple Cheddar Pie. The recipe again came from First Prize Pies.
Most important here is to keep the ingredients for the dough really cold and not to integrate them too much. This was quite hard to do - especially with the strips of dough to cover the pie. I had to roll the leftover pieces together a few times and eventually everything turned into a normal dough with no butter lumps left in it. Hence the crust wasn't quite as crunchy as I hoped.

Ice cold butter chopped into the dough so lumps remain


For the last fifteen minutes of baking I sprinkled a mild Cheddar, which I bought at The British Cheese Centre in in the Viadukt Markthalle, over the pie. The combination of the tart apples, brown sugar and salty cheese is amazing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment